Atoma Diamond Stone Replacement Sheet #600 Economy
Diamond sharpening stone
This professional diamond sharpening stone is made in Japan. It is the replacement plate for the normal Atoma Diamond Stone. This consists of a diamond plate on an aluminum plate. When the diamond plate is worn, replace it with this replacement plate.
Atoma makes these plates by gluing diamond powder in clusters to the steel base. This reduces the risk of outbreak of these diamond particles. The sharps will therefore wash away much more easily during use. The stone is therefore also very durable and will last a very long time.
The old plate must be replaced in the following way:
- Preheat to loosen the existing adhesive layer (fry with hot water or hairdryer)
- Pry the top layer off the aluminum base with a flat and thin knife.
- Remove any remaining adhesive residues and degrease with benzene, acetone or thinner.
- Replace the replacement plate.
- Dimensions of the stone: 210 X 75 x 1 mm
- Grit: # 600 grit
- Steel with diamond powder on a stainless steel support plate
- Abrasive: diamond
- Weight excl. Holder 0.1 KG
- High hardness and slow wear
- No water needed
- Very long service life
Grain size (Grit)
The grain size of Japanese sharpening stones is expressed in a number. The higher the number, the finer the grinding grain and the sharper the result.
Which stone you start with depends on the time you have and the condition of the knife. If the knife is really blunt or damaged, start with a very coarse stone (200-600), then you can go one step higher each time. With a less blunt knife you can start with a 1000 grit stone. You finish with a finish on a 6000-10000 stone, this is meant to get the razor sharp. In our opinion, the combination stone (400/1200) or the diamond stone 600/1200 supplemented with a 6000 or 8000 finishing stone is an ideal starter package.