Makoto Kurosaki SG2 Santoku (universal knife), 165 mm
Makoto Kurosaki SG2 santoku (universal knife),
Blade made of stainless steel Japanese R2 (SG2) powder steel with two layers of stainless steel for the outside (Sanmai forged). This knife is completely forged by hand by the blacksmith Makoto Kurosaki-san. (the older brother of Yu Kurosaki).
Normally, R2 powder steel can be hardened to a hardness of 65-66 Rockwell, but Kobayashi has opted for a hardening of 63-64 Rockwell for this professional line. This makes it easy to sharpen the blades yourself.
A santoku is suitable for all jobs. The knife is designed to cut both fish, meat and vegetables and is a hybrid form between a chef's knife and a nakiri (vegetable knife).
- Blade length: 165 mm
- Total length: 305 mm
- Spine Thickness: 1,9 mm (near the handle)
- Weight: 118 grams
- Steel type: core steel: stainless steel Japanese R2 (SG2) powder steel with two layers of stainless steel for the outside (Sanmai forged).
- Hardness: 63-64 (Rockwell C)
- Handle: Light brown rosewood (Sakura) with light brown Pakka wooden bolster.
- beware: this is a very thin “laser-style” knife and is very sensitive to maltreatment.
Like all Japanese knives, these handmade knives from Kurosaki are not dishwasher safe, cleaning and drying after each use is the best treatment for these exclusive products.